Six Months Later!
As of this week, it is six months since my spinal surgery—the removal of the disc at L3/L4 and a fusion. In fact, if you don’t know, this is my second fusion in five years. As you can well imagine, going through a surgery like this a second time and the recovery that followed was not something I was at all looking forward to. Knowing what it would be like, I did everything I could to avoid the surgery—or at least postpone it. However, I could get only so many epidural shots to relieve the pain. And the effect of the shots had become less and less.
Ironically, during this time, I began my work as a personal trainer. Here I was trying to help others be fit and healthy, even while the pain shooting down my legs into my ankles was steadily increasing. Almost daily, it was getting harder and harder for me to lift even light weights to hand to a client or stand for too long on my feet. Finally, it got to the point that the pain down my legs had become debilitating. I knew I had to get the surgery done.
So, on February 10, 2026 I had the surgery I had dreaded. The next couple of weeks were very hard, as the pain could be quite intense and I needed help with just about everything. The next few months were hard in that I was limited in what I could do and the pain from the surgery still came and went. Everything I did took effort. Just getting in and out of bed was hard, no less getting dressed or in and out of the shower.
So many people, including my doctor, have told me that my progress post-surgery has been astounding and way ahead of the curve. All I can say to them is, (1) I thank God for his help in taking me through a very difficult time and helping me heal; (2) I know the work I put into my fitness beforehand has brought about great dividends through this time by helping me get back on my feet more quickly than expected.
Let me encourage you to first of all not take your fitness and health for granted. Realize, every day of health is a gift. And secondly, do all you can do to maintain a fit and healthy body. After all, you just may find that the effort you put into your exercise routine and eating right will one day be a great help to you when you too face times of physical difficulty.
Have a great day…and, keep moving!
- Tim Harris - CPT, SFS, PN1 Nutrition Coach


Comments
Post a Comment